For Immediate Release: March 21, 2011
Staten Islanders protest Congressman Michael Grimm's "Obamacare" repeal support
Staten Island Democratic Association (SIDA) rally celebrating "Affordable Care Act" anniversary
2:30 p.m. Wednesday March 23 outside Grimm's Staten Island office, 265 New Dorp Lane
SIDA will cite 10 reasons why healthcare bill repeal would be bad for families, seniors and the deficit
(Staten Island) The Staten Island Democratic Association (SIDA) will protest Staten Island and Brooklyn Congressman Michael Grimm's Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) repeal support during a press conference celebrating the healthcare bill's anniversary, 2:30 p.m. Wednesday March 23 outside Grimm's Staten Island office, 265 New Dorp Lane.
SIDA cites 10 reasons why repealing the legislation would be a mistake.
1. Under Obamacare Children, up to the age of 26, can be covered under their parent's health insurance.
2. The Affordable Care Act prohibits health care plans from putting a lifetime medical coverage dollar limit.
3. The Healthcare Plan prohibits insurance companies from rescinding coverage.
4. The legislation requires healthcare plans to cover pre-existing conditions.
5. The bill grants tax credits to small businesses that provide their employees with healthcare.
6. The law mandates that large employers provide employees with health care coverage or vouchers to help them buy their own.
7. The Act provides subsidies to individuals and families to buy coverage.
8. The Plan extends Medicare's solvency from 2017 to 2029.
9. It eliminates the Medicare "doughnut hole".
10. Obamacare, according the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, reduces the federal deficit by $143 billion by 2019.
About SIDA: SIDA is Staten Island's largest Democratic Club and is celebrating its founding's 50th anniversary. For more information visit sidems.org.
What: Obamacare Anniversary Press Conference
Where: Outside Congressman Michael Grimm's Office, 265 New Dorp Lane, Staten Island, NY
When: 2:30 p.m. March 23